Tuesday, April 14, 2009

TPACK (Physical Education Chapter)

Compared to all of the chapters I've read thus far in the TPACK book, this chapter seems to be the biggest stretch in terms of how technology factors into the teaching of this content. I truly do not understanding how much of what I read in this chapter would help a physical education teacher or physical education students.

One of the greatest aspects of physical education is that it is one of the only required courses where kids get to spend time moving, go outdoors, and push themselves in a physical way. I took gym every year of high school. though I was only required to take it two years. Now, kids at my school only need to take one year of gym. Do we really want to spend more time with technology during one of the only times when they actually get to move around and play and be kids? I would've hated a gym class where we had to analyze our swing while at bat. I just wanted to MOVE!

I can see where a deeper understanding of movement and form and motion and such would be more appropriately focused on in extracurricular sports. Here, students are pretty much all invested in becoming better players and in being more successful at whatever sport they're playing. Using any ort of technology within the realm of a typical gym class would take away from the purpose of the class, I feel. I want to know that my freshmen got to move and play during their day. If they choose not to participate in gym, then let's find out the reason behind that. I can guarantee that none of my students would pass gym more readily if their experience involved more technology. Maybe if they had separate changing rooms, but not if they had to use technology.

The one technology that I really feel could be of use in physical education would be a wii fit sort of program or some other sort of group exercise technology. I know of several girls who love to use the yoga portion of the wii fit. This technology could help to introduce and excite kids who may not be interested in traditional sports. And, it may be a way for other teachers to integrate concepts of physical fitness into their classrooms. Rainy days could be turned into time with the wii fitness.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked site that's geared toward middle school girls. I liked that the site included info about health, fitness, and interpersonal and intrapersonal issues like bullying and "emotions". I feel like so many girls are critical of themselves and need to hear from a variety of voices that they are valuable and that being yourself is okay. I think that an increase in physical fitness and activity level can help girls to develop a more positive self image.

    Yay for Barbie! Who knew she'd that her perfect knees and thighs could take on new life in gnarled hands?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The middle school girls site was a treasure trove. I wanted to include the WinterKids site which is a great program for 5-7th grade Maine kids to ski at a reduced price and their families as well. The more activities we can introduce that make sense for Maine families the healthier our communities will be in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy the irony in your comment. Barbie and her unattainable physique finally atone for decades of erosion to girls' self image. She at least would be a good way to introduce a discussion of self esteem in a health/PE class. Girls should be aware of the damage being done to them.

    I must say, however that Ken, being anatomically incorrect, never presented the same problem for boys.

    ReplyDelete