Tuesday, March 31, 2009

TPACK Art Chapter 8

Of all of the content areas that would use technology as a basic foundation for exploration and learning, it would seem that the arts would be at the top of the list. In my school, I have seen technology used in creative ways to help students explore new mediums and ideas. When I first read this chapter, my mind went immediately to the tech programs at Foster Tech. I've had several students who've learned all about digital and graphic technology in the Digital Media and Commercial Art and Photography programs at the Foster tech center. In these programs, students are encouraged to explore photojournalism, advertising, lettering on autos and on signs, television production, music videos, and public service announcements (among many others).

In the regular high school, we do have quite a few art and music options for students. The only school-based dance opportunity I am aware of for students is a dance club that meets after school. As for theater and drama, oh my. We have TONS of options for students who're interested in dramatics. Some of these programs occur outside of school, but we also have several courses offered through the English department that would allow a student interested in theater to pursue dramatics during the school day.

More than any other chapter, I thought that this one offered ideas that could be applied in the regular classroom/ content area. I know that in my classroom, history and arts are the content areas that I integrate into my lesson and unit planning most frequently. I am excited to have the links and the ideas that the author of this chapter made available for exploration. I also liked the way that she separated out the various areas related to the arts. This makes this chapter more user-friendly as a reference.

I think that the difficult aspect of teaching the arts and using technology is that technologies are changing so rapidly, as is art, and it could be a difficult task to try and keep up with both of these worlds. A solution that I've seen work in our schools is for teachers to work together to allow students access to a variety of experts who may have more knowledge in technology to work with students. The art teachers in our building have been very open to this method. After all, there is really no way that the two art teachers could become experts on every new program, every new technique, and every cutting-edge artist.

4 comments:

  1. I loved the music exploratorium site! I had a grand time playing with it in class, to Keith's displeasure I'm sure! I think that what's cool about sites like these is that they can help us to integrate the arts into our classrooms and meet the needs of those kids who are more rhythmic and musical and visual and kinesthetic. I know that I have a bunch of kiddos who have a hard time sitting without creating some sort of noise-- maybe this sort of site would be good for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too think that integrating the arts in the classroom provides opportunities for all children to create, design, construct meaning and make connections. I completely agree with you, Hattie, that I think for older children a place and time for making noise or doodling is very appropriate for some children who need and learn in different ways. Art provides a venue for all children to be successful, original, and creative. Good luck and I hope your noise transforms to beautiful, groovy, balanced, upbeat, soothing music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your comment. I'm glad that you liked the music exploratorium site. Don't worry about Keith. He needs a little soothing anyway. I know that for my personal kids, when they were in high school, adding movement and "productive noise" would have been motivating and soothing at the same time. As I mentioned in the presentation, I have been integrating visual arts into my classroom but less so music and little dance or rhythm. These are areas I need to grow in. I'm teaching poetry now and am thinking of having kids use Garageband to create accompanying music for their poems. We'll see how it goes:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may be interested in the new TPACK taxonomies in music and visual arts: http://activitytypes.wmwikis.net/

    ReplyDelete