Monday, March 23, 2009

TPACK Science

It seems to me that of all of the content areas addressed in this book, science education definitely uses the most technology on a regular basis. Science=experiments, right?

I have to admit that science was never one of my favorite subjects. The best science experience I remember having is when a college professor allowed us to read a book about Darwin for extra credit. It was a long, information-packed book and I was the only person in class who completed the entire assignment. Cutting up dead things--no. Reading a book--yes.

The part of the chapter that I responded to the most was the discussion about how to teach with technology. I think that it's hard to allow students 'play time' when it involves potential down time or expensive equipment, but I think that some kids will always be curious and want to push that shiny button. If it won't break the technology, then let students play for a while. It sorta seems like introducing students to a new novel. The first task I ask my students to complete is to look through the book to check out the set up. This short bit of exploration saves time later when they know where to find the table of contents and the index.

I also appreciated that the authors noted the necessity of clear and thorough directions. Part of the frustration of technology and science (for me) is that one or two false moves can almost ruin your chances for success. I always hated this part of science class because I would inevitably cut something too far or put too much water on the slide or smoosh the lens of the telescope into the slide and have to start all over. I think that detailed directions could've prevented some of my science mishaps, maybe. Big maybe.

Because so much science technology, included the dreaded dissections can now be completed using technology, it seems that teachers of science need to find ways to stay current in terms of what's available online for resources. A computer generated frog can save a lot of stomachs and a lot of money for the school system, I'm sure. Science teachers have a wealth of technologies available to them online, they just need to develop the searching skills and have the time to play and search for useful tools.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Hattie,
    I hope the higher-level websites were of some use. I had hoped the websites for dissecting frogs, and cow's eyes could be downloaded for free but that is not the case. What if this is against the student's religion? Do they fail the class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hattie,

    Having time to play with technology resources, whether they are measuring instruments, online simulations, different modes of communication or lab setup and organization is really important to me and most teachers I know that are constantly adapting and modifying their teaching and learning environments. Weekly, new sites and software tools are available to help better organize and structure science related technology resources.

    I would like to see a coordinated effort at our school for an online test and homework assessment system like Examview that could be used by students for practice or for teachers to serve some of their exam.

    ReplyDelete