Monday, March 23, 2009

TPACK Math

The question asked in the first part of this chapter is not such much whether or not technology should be used, but how and when. The age old question that I know I always struggled with as a not-so-stellar math student is" Why can't I use a calculator?" I still don't completely understand why I can't use a calculator in some areas of math class, but I do understand that there are many areas where technology can be used to elevate the real-world application of a concept.

I know that in my own life, math has only been of relevance and/or interest when I've had to use it as part of my job or to figure finances. My husband, who is a carpenter and uses geometry and algebra on a regular basis, often stumbles when leaving a tip or calculating a good buy. We re in perpetual amazement of each other for our very different talents where math is concerned. This made much more sense, though, in reading through this chapter. I have always been horrible at math, but I hardly ever use anything other than simple math: fractions, percentages, addition/ subtraction, and multiplication/ division.

I wonder what would have happened had I been exposed to more relevant, exciting math in school. I think that this is where today's students are at an advantage. There is an abundance of technology, we just need teachers who're preceptive and imaginative to know when and how to best employ it. Also, I think that there is tons of room to introduce these ideas to all levels of students. This sort of real-world technology could be so engaging and exciting to students who're smart but put off by the constant worksheet, workbook, textbook routine.

Part of the challenge for today's math teachers has to be securing access to the right technologies for the right students. I do know that some of the activities would never have appealed to me, no matter what. However, I can picture some of my students who are looking forward to the year that they can take a tech program at Foster Tech being satiated by some math activities that use practical technologies. Again, though, we are going through some rough financial times and resources are shrinking. All the more reason, I guess for teachers to use their imaginations, like Einstein recommends!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that when math is used in real life situations it makes sense. I also agree with you views on how math is taught today verses when I was in grade school. We ask students to look for relationships and patterns and have them build understandings from there. But... there is a balance. If students don't have the basic number sense and skills, sometimes it's difficult for them to do more complicated problems. I struggle with this everyday. I have been excited to see what's available for my students in terms of technology. I see technology as a huge motivator.

    ReplyDelete